The Restaurant Week menu at Devereaux's was in our minds one of the more diverse and yet still only $30 for three courses; that, combined with the fact that we hadn't eaten here yet, is what sealed the deal on choosing this particular restaurant. We were not disappointed!
Before our appetizer choices were served, we enjoyed samples of a fennel soup enhanced with lemon juice that was absolutely delicious. The bread came next--a tasty cheddar and chive biscuit and what I think was a honey wheat roll or something of the sort. Unfortunately I found the latter a bit hard and dry for my taste.
For the first course Steve had the Rabbit Risotto and I chose the Butternut Squash soup. Please excuse the lack of photos--neither of these was a terribly photogenic dish, but I assure you that they were both amazing. It is easy to miscook rabbit or make a butternut squash dish that is too bland, but Devereaux's didn't have either of those problems.
| Devereaux's Scottish Salmon |
And the duck...oh, the duck! This dish was by far the best duck I have ever had. Also cooked to perfection and served with amazing compliments--basmati rice, sun dried cherries, carrots, etc--I simply couldn't get enough. I seriously could have ordered this dish times three and still wanted more! Not to mention the beautiful presentation:
| Devereaux's Roasted Duck |
We had also opted for the wine pairings, an additional $15. They served us a Chardonnay with our appetizers, a Merlot with our main course and a Port with dessert. I think a white wine would have been better paired with the salmon and a dessert wine rather than a port with our "sweets", but all three options were at least good of their own accord.
On a final note, despite the restaurant being very crowded (to the point where the hostess even commented as we were leaving that we should come back on a more "normal" night) the service was still good and the atmosphere pleasing. Devereaux's is a hit in my book--in fact, I'd rank it with American Grocery and I certainly think it was better than High Cotton, which are both supposedly in the Devereaux's "class" when it comes to downtown Greenville restaurants.
No comments:
Post a Comment