Saturday, August 18, 2012

Savannah for St. Paddy's, THE BIG DAY Part 3

Unfortunately we lost Jaime when we went back to our hotel. We visited the pool there and hung out with some random people for a while - because that's the type of thing we do, apparently (or maybe that's just the type of thing one does in Savannah on St. Patrick's Day) - but eventually hotel security said it was too late and we were being too loud (!!! on St. Patty's Day??? in Savannah??? haha) and while Jaime went to bed, Junior and Steve and I went back to City Market.

We were lucky enough to walk right into Wild Wing Cafe and get a spot on the deck overlooking the central street of the Market...I say we were lucky because yeah, it was ridiculously crowded...

(Looking out over City Market from the Wild Wing Cafe deck)

We hung out there for a while, but about the time people started trying to climb up on the deck from the street - which caused bouncers to come around - we could tell trouble was brewing and that it was about time to go. This is when we lost Junior (sad), but it's also when mine and Steve's St. Patrick's Day Adventure became utterly and ridiculously awesome. We wandered away from City Market, hoping to find one of the bars we'd visited on our first night in Savannah - Hangfire, specifically.

But we couldn't remember the name of the intersection where it was located, and good luck getting any service on an iPhone in a city as crowded as Savannah was that night. We eventually sat on a window ledge to ponder our next move, and that's when drunk!Steve started asking random passers-by if they were local - with hopes of finding someone who knew where Hangfire was, of course.

We never did succeed. BUT - someone did hear us asking if people were local. And she was in fact local. And she and her boyfriend offered to help us find a place to go. So even though they didn't know where Hangfire was, and the line at the next place they suggested was a bit ridiculous, we ended up with some locals to show us around...and that's how we ended up at Pinkie Master's, a Savannah favorite.

Now, Pinkie's is a dive bar. That's the only way to describe it. Honestly I can only say that I hope the bathroom isn't usually as disgusting as it was on St. Patrick's Day. But of course we had a blast! And we even ended up staying until closing time, which was about 3 AM from what I remember.

Steve and I with our random local guides
Unfortunately we did have to start the long trek back to the hotel. And I was hungry. And nothing was open. So what did we end up doing? Buying what was likely the last pizza in Savannah off some street corner pizza dude, giving half of it away to the poor sad people who asked us where we got it, and eating the rest as we made our way "home".

But...not to bed. Oh no. We sat outside of our hotel, drinking the last of our beer and talking to random people as they tried to get cabs out of the city. Because hey, who in the world goes to bed before 5 AM on St. Patrick's Day (or rather, at this point, on the day/morning after St. Patrick's Day) in Savannah?

Not these fine folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment