Thursday, September 29, 2011

An Ode to The Mirage Las Vegas: Not Your Average Hotel Review

This post has been a long time coming, and to be honest I'm totally psyched to finally be sitting here writing it. Because you see, there's just something about The Mirage Las Vegas.

Let's talk about these curtains - the perfect backdrop for pictures!
What is that something, you ask? The best answer is that I just can't put my finger on it - it's a combination of so many things.

And the beds? Heavenly.
 Not the least of which is the fact that out of my 7 trips to Vegas, I've stayed at the Mirage 5 times - and those five trips have been my best Vegas trips by far. So yes, maybe I'm just a bit superstitious about staying here...but I think it says a lot that I've never had a bad stay. Right?
Even the regular rooms have somewhat decent views a lot of the time :)
Let's start with the rooms. I've been lucky enough to get a couple of upgrades, so I've stayed in their regular rooms, their Strip View rooms, their Tower Deluxe rooms, and most recently a two bedroom hospitality suite (I actually booked that, though). Even when booking the least expensive room, you're getting a good deal - the Mirage has one of the best locations on the Strip - right next to the Forum Shops at Caesar's, a tram to TI, across from the Venetian and walking distance from so much more - and even the "lesser" rooms have amazingly comfortable beds, flat screen TVs, a nice desk/workspace area, and a decent amount of room to spread out. I do have to be honest, though - the bathrooms are, sadly, a bit small.
That's one heck of a Strip View ;)
The Strip View rooms are basically the same as the regular rooms, with of course a great view of the Strip - while the Tower Deluxe rooms are quite a big bigger and have a much larger bathroom, plus your own dedicated elevators!
Surveying the view from a Tower Deluxe room(floor to ceiling windows FTW!)after a LONG night in Vegas.With no sleep.
As for the two bedroom hospitality suites - these have the same awesome decor as the rest of the Mirage. Very sleek and simplistic, which is right up my alley. We booked one of the few and far between suites that actually has three beds - a king bed in the master bedroom and two queens in the second bedroom. While the suite was absolutely amazing, I do have just a few notes on it.
Hospitality suite living room

  • It really should have a better fridge. Our mini fridge was just that - mini. And in order to keep anything cold, we had to leave the door to the cabinet in which it was stored open 24/7.
Hospitality suite master bedroom
  • Our suite was - sadly - located on the 4th floor. No special elevator access and practically no view. I asked about a higher floor when we checked in and was told that they had a limited number of suites like this and this was the last one available. It didn't matter that we checked in at 11:30 AM or that we were there for a friend's birthday, that it was my 5th time staying at the Mirage or that we'd booked our suite nearly seven months in advance.
Master bath in the Mirage hospitality suite

  • The hospitality suites - to be named as such - should really have a few more perks. I.E. guestlist and free entrance to Mirage club(s), free entrance to BARE (at least for girls!), signs that designate what line to wait in at the casual restaurants, a leg up on cabana rentals, etc.
"Meh" view from the master bedroom of our 4th floor suite

Of course, I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining, because as a whole I was very happy with the suite - especially its size, decor, stereo system and awesome master bathroom. It was simply another great Mirage experience. But everything needs a little bit of improvement, right? ;)
Dining and wet bar in the hospitality suite
As for the rest of the resort - the atmosphere here is just awesome. Every employee I've ever encountered has been friendly and helpful. The restaurant selection is great - though I didn't care for BLT Burger (small selection and hefty prices), California Pizza Kitchen and BB King's have always been good. Kokomo's, the lounge in the lobby, is always a good time. Cirque du Soleil's LOVE - a Beatles "tribute" of sorts - is an amazing show, and the LOVE store has an awesome array of Beatles merchandise. The pool is great (though good luck getting a lounge chair without arriving super early or reserving one for $50 - especially on particularly nice days) and the spa is to die for. The minute I step through the lobby doors of this hotel I can't stop grinning...it's like I can feel that Vegas vibe pulsing through the entire place.
Second (read: normal) bedroom in the suite, which is just slightly bigger than a regular Mirage room
Not to mention the fact that The Mirage twitter and Facebook pages are seriously active. If you have a quick question they are great about getting you a quick answer. These are also great places to find out about their latest sales/deals :)
We may be chair-less, but we're still enjoying the Mirage pool!
To wrap this up, I just have to say that I hope you can see why I love love LOVE the Mirage Las Vegas. And how I've convinced pretty much all of my friends to love it too. And why I suggest it to everyone I know who is going out there.

And why I don't see myself staying anywhere else in Vegas anytime soon ;)
CHEERS TO THE MIRAGE!

See you next April...I hope :)

No comments:

Post a Comment