Sunday, August 28, 2011

Whirlwind San Francisco: Day 2, Part 1

Somehow, some way, we dragged ourselves out of bed at about 9 AM on day 2 in San Francisco.

It's not that we didn't want to see as much of the city as possible...we did. We'd just stayed out far too late the night before.

Seriously, I don't think I was in bed until at least 3 AM. Oops.

Luckily, we had a full yet somewhat easy day ahead of us - thanks to my friend Rachel, who has lived in the San Fran area with her husband for a few years now :) We decided to meet them at Fisherman's Wharf, and after a quick stop at a sadly forgettable cafe for breakfast we headed on down through Chinatown!

Chinatown was seriously one of my favorite sights on this trip. I could have spent at least three times the allotted 45 minutes or so that we spent walking through it just wandering, browsing and shopping.


At one point we walked by a girl - seriously, she couldn't have been more than 12 - wearing a panda hat. As soon as I saw it I told Steve, "I need that hat!" Thus the quest began...and though it seemed a bit difficult at first (we saw many similar hats, but not the exact same one), there it was...a lone panda hat placed in the spot of honor at the top of a pile of other hats.

And then...it was mine.


Once we had exited Chinatown, we still had a bit farther to go - but it was through some truly pretty neighborhoods and it was great to see more of the city!


We finally reached Fisherman's Wharf, met up with Rachel and Josh, and checked out Pier 39 and the sea lions and the views of Alcatraz before doing a bit of shopping and grabbing lunch.


The Wharf was of course very touristy, but still a fun little spot with some neat shops. We ate lunch at Scoma's, a seafood restaurant that's at the Wharf but a bit off the beaten path and more of a "local" place (unlike, say, Bubba Gump). The food was delicious and fairly well priced for the quality and location, so if you "have" to eat at the Wharf I definitely suggest checking it out!

Next up? The Golden Gate Bridge, of course! And Rachel and Josh were awesome about driving us across the bridge to one of the better lookouts...and then around the city even more after that!

Driving across the bridge!
Amazing view of the Golden Gate
Rachel and I
Battery Spencer
Checking out the other views
We then took a roundabout way to get to our next stop [a surprise, for you guys!] - by way of Lombard Street, of course!

Unfortunately there was a bit too much traffic for us to stop and/or get out of the car - but we got to drive down it and that was enough for me :)

However, this, my dear friends, was probably the best part of my day.

We went to Alamo Square; those are the Painted Ladies in the background. And if you grew up in the 90s (as I did) this should look very familiar to you. I quote: "Whatever happened to predictability...the milkman, the paperboy, evenin' TV?"

Yeah, we totally looked that song up on YouTube and played it on our iPhones whilst running around this park like eejits. What can I say, I'm a geek and Steve doesn't mind being one with me ;)

Though it was only in the high 60s, I could have laid on the grass in Alamo Square for hours, reminiscing about my childhood, TGIF and Full House. Unfortunately we did not have the luxury of extra time, so it was on to our next stop - Haight Ashbury, of course!


Like Chinatown, I could have spent hours here just shopping - so many great little stores! We dropped into a few of them, including a really cool hat shop called Goorin Brothers, where Steve and I both purchased some awesome hats. And of course I purchased my obligatory shot glass at one of the kitschy souvenir places :)

Unfortunately it was nearing the time when Rachel and Josh had to head home (in hopes of beating traffic) and Steve and I had to meet up with his brother for dinner...but before parting ways, we set out on one last mission - to find the elusive robot with balls, which is located at none other than George Lucas's home in the Pacific Heights neighborhood!

And yes, we found it.


To be honest, I thought about revealing a close-to-exact location of this robot on my blog. Really, I did. And I may change my mind, come back later and add it. But for now...I feel that this is a mission you must undertake on your own. Because we had to. And you have to be a really big fan of somewhat anatomically correct robots - or George Lucas - to look as long as we did. So good luck, folks.

And may the Force be with you.

Yeah, I went there.

2 comments:

  1. I love your panda hat- want one of my own! I'm reminded of my most recent trip to San Francisco and wishing to go back. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures of you guys with the bridge. And the church is absolutely wonderful. Before I even read the description I was singing, "Everywhere you look..." :) Oh Full House! I'm glad it was a good time.

    ReplyDelete