Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beach time!

This morning I received an email from TripAdvisor about 10 beaches that should be on your bucket list. Now, to be completely honest...I hadn't been to any of the specific beaches listed. But I have been to a lot of beaches - one in California, many in New England and Florida, a couple in North Carolina and Virginia, and of course Myrtle Beach here in South Carolina. Not to mention Nice and countless beaches in the Caribbean. So I thought...hey, why not make my own list?

Of course, I'm only going to name five beaches. And they are my "top 5". Of all time. One of them is members only (sorry) and the other you can only get to on a Disney cruise (again, sorry)...but they all come highly recommended by yours truly!

5. Elephant Rock Beach

I think the actual beach is technically in Rhode Island, but you have to drive through Massachusetts to get to it. This is the "members only" beach that I mentioned, but trust me when I say that it is amazing. The beach is pristine, there are beautiful houses along it, ruins of houses destroyed in hurricanes past, and really cool rock formations out in the water. If you ever have a chance to go here, do it. You won't be sorry.

4. Pass-a-Grille Beach, St. Petersburg Florida.

Pass-a-Grille is a beautiful white sand beach with clear water. It tends to be less crowded than other beaches in the St Pete/Tampa area (in my experience), so if you're looking for a beautiful, quiet beach where you can relax...Passe-a-Grille fits the bill! (err...pardon the rhyme)
source

3. Clearwater Beach, Clearwater/Tampa area, Florida.

Clearwater is just up the road from Pass-a-Grille and much more touristy, but I love it. Again, it has the white sand and beautiful water that many beaches on Florida's west coast boast (look at my rhyming skills today!) but a bit more life than Pass-a-Grille and other Gulf Coast beaches near Tampa.

2) Castaway Cay, Disney's island in the Bahamas.

I heard so many amazing things about Castaway Cay that I assumed it was too good to be true - but I'm here to tell you that it's not. Specifically the adults-only beach, but the island as a whole is spotlessly clean with again...white sand beaches and gorgeous water (I'm hoping you're seeing the pattern, here). Even better? The beachside cabanas where they offer massages. One of the best experiences of my life.

So yes, it's Disney, but trust me when I say it's more than worth the trip!

1) Tabyana Beach, Roatan Island Honduras.

This beach more than deserves this number one spot. Although it is a tourist beach and can get a bit crowded, the people who run it do an amazing job of keeping everything clean. There are locals selling their wares, $25 beach side massages, parasailing, and the best snorkeling I've ever experienced on the reef just off shore. This little island off the coast of Honduras is a great getaway and less touristy than most Caribbean islands and I really can't suggest Roatan as a destination - and Tabyana as a beach - enough!
source
source
source
I hope you've enjoyed hearing about my five favorite beaches! What are some of the best beaches you've been to?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure fresh water doesn't count but the coast of Lake Michigan in Western Michigan is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete