Friday, April 8, 2011

Moon Handbook: Charleston & Savannah

I wanted to write a quick review about this guidebook, as I read the Charleston half of it before our trip there last month. I can see how this book would be amazing help for someone traveling down south for a true vacation - spending a week or so in Charleston, Savannah, and other parts of the low country. For me, it gave some great shopping and restaurant suggestions that I hadn't known about before, which was perfect for the type of trip we were taking.

The only two things I didn't care for regarding the Charleston portion of this guidebook was the lack of historical information (I was spoiled by the huge amount of this in the New Orleans guide that I read last year) and the fact that there was little to no information about nightlife! Seriously, the author mentions a couple random bars but nothing about some of the great places I've seen on my past couple of trips to Charleston - Blind Tiger, the Griffon, the Speakeasy, the Gin Joint...thankfully we hooked up with a great tour company that showed us these places, but in the future I hope the author will write a few more pages on Charleston's great nightlife. Because Charleston does have great nightlife.

All in all, I give the Charleston section of this guidebook a 3.5 out of 5. If you're only going to Charleston you may want to look into purchasing a guidebook that focuses solely on this city; again, though, if you're planning a big trip and stopping in both Charleston and Savannah, this "handbook" is probably the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. You should write your OWN version of the book! In your own "voice." I would for sure read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meri - I would love, love, love to be a professional travel writer :) Either for a magazine, or just publish a book of my travels, or guidebooks...I don't care! :)

    ReplyDelete