Monday, April 25, 2011

#1 Reason to Love Southwest & Not Prepaying Hotel Stays

Okay, maybe no baggage fees is the real number one reason to love Southwest Airlines...but the fact that they don't charge change fees is definitely up there as well!

You see, I was in Chicago this past weekend. A trip that I was definitely looking forward to. I didn't not have fun, but some personal things were going on in my life and I woke up Saturday morning with no desire whatsoever to stay there...despite the fact that I wasn't supposed to leave until the next day.

Let me be very clear - I travel a lot, and at times I do get homesick. I think it's only natural, and it doesn't help that in the past two months I had already spent four long weekends away from home. But this is the first time I've ever actually cut a trip short, and I cannot explain how happy I was that my flight was with Southwest and I had booked my hotel through AAA. Reason being, Southwest doesn't charge change fees - just differences in fare. And as long as I was out of my hotel room by 1 PM on Saturday, I only had to pay for Friday night. In the end, the airfare difference and the money I saved on the hotel evened out and in the end I spent a grand total of 24 hours in Chicago and was home by 9:45 PM Saturday night.

Had I booked my hotel through Hotwire or Priceline or Hotels.com; had I been flying US Air or American or United...I would have been stuck in Chicago for an additional 24 hours and it would have been miserable. Instead, I left on a high note, came home early, and had a great time out with my husband and sister...then got to go home and crash in my own bed and wake up surrounded by three of my six pets and the most amazing man I've ever known.

I don't usually write about truly personal stuff in this particular blog because, well, it's a travel blog. But I'm of the firm belief that it's a good idea to prove to everyone that I'm a mortal, too. I get tired, I get hungover, I get homesick, I miss my husband and my pets and my bed and my house and my wonderful city of Greenville South Carolina. And I'm glad that things worked out for me to be home to enjoy all those things I was missing this weekend :)

4 comments:

  1. Aw, the weather here wasn't that great this past weekend anyways. You'll have to come back when you're in brighter spirits (and it's warmer) and I'll show you where the fun's at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so good!!! Southwest doesn't fly out of here though, it sucks :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that! I usually choose southwest (at least when I see my parents in Arizona) for the no bag fee, but now I have an extra reason to book with them. Thanks for sharing Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessi - I'll surely be back to Chicago, because I know it's a great city! Like you said, I just need to go when I'm in a better mood :)

    @Princess - Keep your fingers crossed! They only started flying out of Greenville last month, so they're still expanding :)

    @Meri - Yes! I found out they didn't charge change fees back in 2009 - my husband had a last minute work thing and had to change up his flight schedule for one of our vacations. We called up Southwest because we had to outright cancel one leg of the flight - no change fee and they credited us the money for a future flight with them. The following summer I used that fare money to bring one of my friends to Vegas with me :)

    ReplyDelete