Sunday, March 6, 2011

When Things Don't Go as Planned: The Good Side

King Street, Charleston
We literally just got back from a weekend in Charleston and I decided that I needed to pound out a quick entry. This was my third trip to Charleston and Steve's second and we had big plans, especially as we were there for the Charleston Food & Wine Festival. The two parts of our plans that suffered the most were the shopping I'd hoped to do on King Street and dinner reservations at La Fourchette for Saturday night.

Basically, I spent my shopping allotment in one fell swoop when I decided to finally get fitted for a pair of Vibram Five Fingers running shoes. At this point Steve agreed that we could rest our feet a bit back at the hotel, and there went the rest of our afternoon free time that was originally meant for exploring more of Charleston.

Hibernion Society Building
Of course, had we not stopped back at the room and taken a quick power nap we probably wouldn't have lasted until closing time when we went out that night--hence the fact that it wasn't such a bad thing that our afternoon plans changed a bit. And had we been a little more tired or continued to drink between our Tasting Tent excursion and our Martini Tour with the Lesesne Tour Company, we may have made it to our dinner at La Fourchette but we wouldn't have had quite as awesome of a night bar hopping on East Bay and Meeting Streets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit disappointed that I still haven't had the chance to try La Fourchette's famous pommes frites or French pressed coffee, but it just goes to show you that even the best laid plans sometimes should be set aside in favor of winging it. Had we not done so last night we would have missed out on some great conversation and experiences.

Stay tuned for a complete recap of our Charleston trip with Food & Wine festival details and some more information on the great Martini Tour we took!

1 comment: