Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mt. Snow: The First, the Last, the Ugly.

I'm going to keep this one short and sweet.

Mt. Snow in Vermont was the first place I ever went skiing, and as of today...it's actually the last place I ever skied, as well. Which is severely unfortunate on both accounts...because I do not like Mt. Snow.

The first time I was there it was my dad's choice--I suppose because it's one of the Vermont mountains that's closer to where we lived at the time. The second time it was a combined, discussed choice of my boyfriend and I, again because it was the closest mountain that wasn't Berkshire East in Massachusetts (which we had already visited two or three times that season).

Both times, Mt. Snow was overcrowded and, for the mountain size, overpriced. And both times, the state of the trails was deplorable. Seriously, one would think that between 1999 and 2009 they would have learned how to (a) use snow machines and/or (b) groom their trails properly. Apparently not, as the trails consisted of far more ice than snow.

The one redeeming quality is that the last time we were there, they had one of those waffle stands. Those things are to die for. That said, if you live in Mass or Connecticut and are looking for a nearby place to ski, Berkshire East is in my opinion far superior to Mt. Snow (both in price and trail quality).

1 comment: