Monday, August 9, 2010

Two words: ROAD TRIP!



.

Long ago, I lost count of the number of times I took a road trip. Whether it be three hours for a weekend away; eight, nine, or twelve hours to a vacation destination; fifteen hours when moving from Connecticut to South Carolina...it would simply take up too much brain power to go back and figure out how many times I've driven up and down the East Coast, how many hours I've spent in the car.

Needless to say, taking so many road trips--be they for pleasure or a move or whatever else--means that I deem myself something of an expert on the matter. I don't think I need to get into the particulars of safety...as in, we all know that a blanket, a flashlight, a first aid kit and jumper cables are always good things to have in one's car. Outside of the usual items, I have a few of my own favorites that are musts for a roadtrip
  • Starbucks Double Shot Espressos. I can't stand the taste of energy drinks and the Starbucks bottled frappuccinos simply don't have enough caffeine!
  • Bottled Water and plenty of it, and if you have a small cooler pack it up in here to keep cool for your drive!
  • A fully charged and updated iPod, along with a few CDs as just-in-case backups
  • A cell phone charger for your car
  • Sunglasses
  • Eyedrops
  • A recently updated GPS unit or at the very least, a road atlas for the current year
  • Some sort of wet naps in case of spills or needing to freshen up a bit :)
  • Comfortable clothes! Honestly, I will never understand how people--especially women--can make long drives in tight jeans, heels, etc. Is it really necessary to look "cute" when you're going to be on the road for hours?

And if you're not the driver...
I prefer the NAP brand sleeping masks.
  • Plenty of books/magazines
  • A charged laptop, your own headphones, and a movie or two (or three, depending on length of the drive). On very long drives I've also carted along an adaptor that allows me to charge my laptop (or at least keep it from dying) by using the cigarette lighter.
  • A sleeping mask and pillow (especially if you're traveling at night)
  • And again...comfortable clothes!

Personally, I don't bring lots of juices/sodas/snacks because those just up the chances of spilling in the car and/or ending up with sticky or messy hands. (Yes, I've been there, done that) As a safety tip I don't ever suggest driving more than 15-16 hours in one shot...that's the longest I've done and even that was cutting it close! Normally I'm of the "just hop in the car and GET THERE" persuasion, but of course there are always exceptions!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tara! You have a great travel blog. I especially LOVE all of your entries about your Contiki Amsterdam to Barcelona tour... I am going on this tour departing September 10th! I hope you will post more soon about your time in the French Riviera and Barcelona! And if you have any tips or anything else to share about this tour go ahead and email me. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca! You will have such an amazing time on your trip. I just got back from a weekend away and I'm getting married soon, but I will try to post about my time in Nice and Barcelona before you leave. Keep an eye out for those entries :)

    I will say this--plan for cool weather! I went in July and expected it to be warm and until we got to Nice/Barcelona, temperatures did not break 70-ish degrees. And the only other thing I can really randomly say is that I spent about $1000 on food, drinks, and souvenirs while I was there. The exchange rate at the time was $1.34 to 1 Euro. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

    ReplyDelete