Sunday, April 11, 2010

Great Bar Food, Atmosphere at Wild Wing Cafe

Okay.

I'm not usually a big purveyor of chain restaurants. As someone who worked in the restaurant industry for over four years, places like Outback Steakhouse are the bane of my existence. But every once in a while, a chain restaurant (pretty much always a small chain restaurant) gets it right.

And Wild Wing Cafe is one of the ones who's got it right.

I think of Wild Wing Cafe as a small chain--it has dozens of locations, but most are in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia, with a few scattered in Virginia, Texas, etc. I don't pretend to be some sort of wing connoisseur, but I've eaten wings at the WWC in Charleston SC and Greenville SC and been pretty impressed both times. But despite the name, you shouldn't just go there for the wings, because the rest of their appetizers are very, very good as well! Although I have yet to try a full-on meal, I don't think this is a place I would choose for that anyway...I would rather just take advantage of their late-night feeding time.

Wild Wing Cafe serves their full menu until midnight and wings until 1 AM, which is apparently pretty late in both Charleston and Greenville. Of the three times we've eaten at a WWC, we've sampled their pretzel bites (awesome, although I wish we had asked for cheese to dip them in, instead of just mustard), mini corn dogs (to die for), tomato basil tortizza (surprisingly good), and steel town spuds (some of the best loaded fries I've ever had).

It's not just the food that draws us to WWC, though--the atmosphere is great as well! They have constant food and drink specials, live music a few nights a week, as well as trivia and karaoke nights.  Personally, I think it's pretty rare that you find this perfect storm of quality food (with late-night serving hours) AND entertainment, especially at a chain, but I'm happy to report that Wild Wing Cafe has got it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment