Sunday, March 14, 2010

Learn to Trust Your Better Judgment: A Greenville St. Patty's Day

Don't worry, this blog won't be as serious as the subject makes it sound ;)

We went out for Saint Patrick's Day last night. Bad idea in itself, considering it was a work night, but hey, once in a while can't hurt, right?

That's what we told ourselves yesterday. Today, of course, we feel otherwise.

That's part one of this entry on learning to trust your better judgment. I think that even as we were saying "We can't not go out on Saint Patrick's Day. Again." (we didn't go out last year), we knew that we weren't making the best decision. Of course, that's water under the bridge now, and we're both dragging ourselves through work today.

Part two deals with our bad choice of where to go to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day: Chief's Wings & Firewater.

Oh yeah, you read that right.

Now, when I lived in Greenville back in 2007-2008, I went to Chief's, which is behind the mall, a total of two times. The first was for a friend's birthday, and it was a Saturday night. The place was loud, the bartender only knew how to make the simplest mixed drinks (the "restaurant special" was a Malibu & Pineapple--seriously), and on top of that, the drinks were very, very weak. I turned my nose up at the place and refused to go back for something like 8 months.

But I decided to give Chief's a second chance. They touted themselves as being the place to be in Greenville on Wednesday nights, which they dubbed "Working Women's Wednesdays" (when I told Steve about this, he scoffed and said "Working Women? Isn't that what they used to call prostitutes?"). So I dragged my [now] ex and a guy friend up there for a couple of drinks.

Which turned into one drink and us leaving twenty minutes later, because "Working Women's Wednesdays" turned out to be a euphemism for a bunch of cougars hitting on 22-year-old guys.

So when my sister insisted that Chief's was a blast last year on Saint Patrick's Day, I was more than a bit skeptical...yet still I, the queen of writing people and places off after a mere two chances (sometimes less), gave into my sister and agreed to go to Chief's. In the back of my mind was the knowledge that Steve had never been, it's supposedly a popular bar here in Greenville, and he deserved to form his own opinion of it.

But again...I think I also knew that there was no way this place could redeem itself. Hence, "Learn to Trust Your Better Judgment".

We went, paid $6 per person to get in, a round of crappy drinks was $12, and the place was mainly full of people in their 40s and 50s. We waited for a friend of Christy's to meet us there, had a drink with him, and after some debate finally decided to find another bar. We left Chief's and headed over to a nearby bar on Woodruff Road. This place was a little better--cheaper drinks, certainly; a slightly younger crowd; with a live band that was halfway decent (I say halfway because they were playing great music by bands like The Beatles and Cheap Trick, but then they would turn around and play crap like Nickelback)--but I still wasn't overly impressed. We called it a night just before midnight, but as you can probably tell from other things I've said in this blog, that wasn't early enough to keep us from dragging this morning.

I think we've also learned our lesson about bars in the Woodruff Road/mall area: none of them are really that great. We'll stick to downtown Greenville from now on, thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment