Monday, March 22, 2010

Know Where You Live

When I was growing up, I hated my hometown--and to be completely honest, not much has changed there, and I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life in Ellington, Connecticut. But as I got older, I realized that some of the things I'd scoffed at as a youngster were actually kind of different and fun. I never thought about someone going a lifetime and never seeing the quaint town and beautiful shore of Ogunquit, Maine, for instance--because I went there so many summers, it being just a few hours' drive from Ellington.

Therefore, when my boyfriend and I relocated (or rather, for me, re-relocated) to Greenville, South Carolina, we vowed to get out and appreciate the city and the surrounding areas. And so far, despite moving here just before the holiday season, and then having to deal with winter--yes, it does get cold here!--we are doing a pretty good job. And the more places we experience, the more I realize that I could invite a friend, even one from a big city, to visit for a long weekend, and have plenty to show that person. Because no, Greenville isn't Boston or New York City or Orlando or even Charleston--but it has a beauty and a charm all its own.

So please, keep an eye out for rants and raves about my adopted hometown--because eventually, I'll have to re-live one of the many Red Sox farm team ballgames I've attended here, or discuss the joys of spending an afternoon in Falls Park, or rant about the crappy pizza while raving about the few and far between great pizza places we've discovered. I'm hoping that I can convince more than a few people why this really is the place that folks from Atlanta and Charlotte and even Asheville visit for their long weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment